Login with RealMe

To access the Procurement online service, you need a RealMe login. If you've used a RealMe login somewhere else, you can use it here too. If you don't already have a username and password, just select Login and choose to create one.

What's RealMe?

To log in to this service you need a RealMe login.

This service uses RealMe login to secure and protect your personal information.

RealMe login is a service from the New Zealand government that includes a single login, letting you use one username and password to access a wide range of services online.

Find out more at www.realme.govt.nz.

NABERSNZ assessments and ratings

The NABERSNZ process assists agencies and landlords with assessing the energy performance of a building. Make sure to get the right type of assessment and rating for your buildings.

How to get a NABERSNZ rating

Agencies and landlords must follow the NABERSNZ process to assess their buildings and offices. A self-assessment does not meet our minimum standards; you'll need an assessment from a registered assessor.

How to get a rating – NABERSNZ

NABERSNZ assessor directory – NABERSNZ

EECA's NABERSNZ Getting started video YouTube

Types of assessments

There are three types of energy assessments.

Electric vehicles energy use is excluded from a NABERSNZ rating as long as a compliant electricity meter is being used, as the energy consumed by the vehicle is outside the building envelope.

Base building assessment

A base build rating measures the energy performance of the core services in a building which an agency will have little or no control over, such as lifts, stairwell lighting, common toilets, air conditioning and ventilation.

Improvements to a building’s NABERSNZ rating can be achieved with collaboration between the tenant and landlord to minimise wastage, such as after-hours air conditioning use.

Tenancy assessment

A tenancy assessment measures the energy performance of the floors and areas occupied mainly by the tenant, including computers, lighting, server rooms, and staff kitchens.

Research shows that tenancy energy use accounts for around 42% of total energy use in a building.

Whole building assessment

A whole building assessment gives a combined rating of both base building and tenancy ratings. We do not recommend them, except in buildings solely occupied by government agencies.

Whole building assessments can skew results, especially where building space is shared with non-Government agencies like crèches, retail or commercial premises. In these multi-tenanted buildings common areas are allocated on a pro-rata basis to more than one tenant. Separate assessments provide agencies with better control over making improvements, and this approach also provides a more accurate reflection of energy usage.

In almost all situations, agencies can achieve greater benefits if they carry out separate base building and tenancy assessments, rather than completing a whole building assessment. If you decide to do a whole building assessment, let us know before you start.

Co-assess ratings

If you're in a multi-tenanted building, use a co-assess process to complete tenancy ratings at the same time as a base building or whole building assessment.

The co-assess method is designed to help building managers, building owners, and tenants to better understand their energy use and work together to improve the performance of their building and tenancies, while reducing assessment costs.

Work out which assessment you should get by answering the questions below.

Which type of assessment to get

With the broad range of lease arrangements in Government office accommodation, it can be hard to work out which type of assessment you need. Answer the following questions to confirm the requirements for your accommodation. You can also find examples below.

Is the net lettable area of the single or combined tenancy or co-location more than or equal to 5,000m²?

Assessment costs

Tenancy assessments are usually paid for by the agency.

We would expect a Base Building assessment to be paid for by the landlord; this can be negotiated between the tenant and the landlord.

Assessment costs – NABERSNZ